Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Positive Celiac blood tests

julie5914 - Wed May 18, 2005 12:56 pm

I received positive Celiac blood tests as a part of a research study, and my doctor was copied on these results. He has not contacted me about it, however. I have scheduled an appt. with a gastroenterologist, but he cannot see me for a month. My question is, since he will most likely want to do an endoscopy, how necessary is that? Seem like I don't need the test if the only treatment is diet, and I have heard they are quite expensive. I will probably go gluten free to treat symptoms anyway, so should I just cancel the appt? I hate to continue eating something for the next month that might be harming me and is definitely giving me trouble. Here are my results:

Gliadin AB, IGA 61.2 (normal is <25)
Gliadin AB, IGG 106.3 (normal is <25)
Endomysl AB IGA Positive (normal is neg.)

The labs were done by Mayo Medical Laboritories in MN.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 21, 2005 1:31 pm

User avatar Hi julie5914,
In my opinion you should keep your appointment. If an endoscopy is suggested at that time, and a reasonable explaination is not given for the procedure you can always refuse the testing.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us