Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Positive Celiac blood tests

julie5914 - Wed May 18, 2005 12:56 pm

I received positive Celiac blood tests as a part of a research study, and my doctor was copied on these results. He has not contacted me about it, however. I have scheduled an appt. with a gastroenterologist, but he cannot see me for a month. My question is, since he will most likely want to do an endoscopy, how necessary is that? Seem like I don't need the test if the only treatment is diet, and I have heard they are quite expensive. I will probably go gluten free to treat symptoms anyway, so should I just cancel the appt? I hate to continue eating something for the next month that might be harming me and is definitely giving me trouble. Here are my results:

Gliadin AB, IGA 61.2 (normal is <25)
Gliadin AB, IGG 106.3 (normal is <25)
Endomysl AB IGA Positive (normal is neg.)

The labs were done by Mayo Medical Laboritories in MN.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat May 21, 2005 1:31 pm

User avatar Hi julie5914,
In my opinion you should keep your appointment. If an endoscopy is suggested at that time, and a reasonable explaination is not given for the procedure you can always refuse the testing.