Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Abnormally large liver at birth

Avarus - Wed May 18, 2005 6:30 pm

When I was born I had an unusually large liver and they thought maybe I had some kind of disease and checked and found nothing wrong, and then again when I was older a doctor was a bit concerned but since I didn't have symptoms and everything seemed fine they didn't worry.

So I was just curious if there is an explination for my liver being larger then normal, and if there are any possible complications that could happen in the future or any advantages to having a larger then normal liver. I should note that no one in my family seems to share this genetic oddity, though my grandma, and uncles are alcoholics so I usually joke around and say that my liver is big because of them. :lol:
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 19, 2005 12:16 am

I don't think there is anything to worry about. Abnormalities in shape, size and even position of the internal organs is normal. As long as you do not have any symptoms and your liver function tests are normal (as they should be) there shouldn't be any limitations now or in the future.