Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Anal Itch

DG55 - Thu May 19, 2005 7:01 pm

I've recently had itching around the anal area. It seemed to randomly jump on me, and I was wondering what could be the cause. The whole area right down the middle of the actual 'crack' (pardon the expression) is red, but not dry; pretty regular.

The only thing that could (?) be related is a recent case of what I believed to be jock itch, it was solved with an anti fungal cream, so I assume that it was jock itch!

What could be the cause of this? Could it be jock itch? If so, how can I treat it, with an anti fungal cream?

What other things could it relate to, and are there any creams that I should try etc.

Thanks.
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Fri May 20, 2005 1:16 pm

Chew a single tablet of Albendazole (400 mg) and let me know if there is any improvement.
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 11:01 pm

User avatar So the itching isn't to your anus, but actually to the crack between your butt cheeks? If so, do you sweat a fair bit? People DO sweat between their butt cheeks....and it's possible you could have gotten a yeast or fungal infection there? Why don't you try putting some of the anti-fungal cream in the crack for as long as it's recommended for use with jock itch and see if that helps. Are you sure the skin is intact there? (meaning: no sores, raw areas) If it's not intact, I'd seriously not try anything yourself but see your doctor to have the area properly examined.
 DG55 - Mon May 23, 2005 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I also wondered, what kind of difference high-water intake would make on the stool? (compared to an almost nil water intake).

I have an averagely fibreous diet, and take a fibre suppliment once on a day that I have had nil fibre intake.