Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Anal Itch

DG55 - Thu May 19, 2005 7:01 pm

I've recently had itching around the anal area. It seemed to randomly jump on me, and I was wondering what could be the cause. The whole area right down the middle of the actual 'crack' (pardon the expression) is red, but not dry; pretty regular.

The only thing that could (?) be related is a recent case of what I believed to be jock itch, it was solved with an anti fungal cream, so I assume that it was jock itch!

What could be the cause of this? Could it be jock itch? If so, how can I treat it, with an anti fungal cream?

What other things could it relate to, and are there any creams that I should try etc.

Thanks.
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Fri May 20, 2005 1:16 pm

Chew a single tablet of Albendazole (400 mg) and let me know if there is any improvement.
 Lisa K, RN - Fri May 20, 2005 11:01 pm

User avatar So the itching isn't to your anus, but actually to the crack between your butt cheeks? If so, do you sweat a fair bit? People DO sweat between their butt cheeks....and it's possible you could have gotten a yeast or fungal infection there? Why don't you try putting some of the anti-fungal cream in the crack for as long as it's recommended for use with jock itch and see if that helps. Are you sure the skin is intact there? (meaning: no sores, raw areas) If it's not intact, I'd seriously not try anything yourself but see your doctor to have the area properly examined.
 DG55 - Mon May 23, 2005 1:53 pm

Thanks for the replies.

I also wondered, what kind of difference high-water intake would make on the stool? (compared to an almost nil water intake).

I have an averagely fibreous diet, and take a fibre suppliment once on a day that I have had nil fibre intake.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us