Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Abdominal tenderness

 LibertyGirl - Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:13 pm

I have a bunch of issues going on at the moment starting from TMJ headaches, blurry eyes(iristis), knee pain etc. to joint and muscle pain all over the trunk area. However, I am not sure if my abdominal tenderness and other stomach symptoms are related.

I get random pains in various locations on my trunk that last a few mins to a few seconds. I have noticed that this is caused by gas buildup. Usually, if i release the air by burping i'm fine. However, i am not always able to do so. There are days i burp every 2 to 3 seconds. Occassionally, this burp is accompanied by some nasty tasting liquid coming up the throat. I do not get a whole lot of heartburn. The chest pain i get are generally associated with gas. It feels like muscle twitches inside the chest. I also have days where my whole body begins to hurt and in a few hours i notice bloating and gas. I start getting cramps. I am also very constipated. I have a lot of bleeding during my bowels. The blood is generally fresh bright red but occassionally also very dark (almost black). I don't have fever and vomitting. I have lost appetite but i tend to eat properly and have lost only 3 lbs in 2 months. The thing that bother me the most is the abdominal tenderness. It hurts when touched. Especially on the oblique area. The pain is not localized but wraps around the waist line. There are days when my jeans hurt and other days when even a slight touch hurts. It almost looks like the pain in on the surface or in the flesh. I also have extreme tenderness under the ribs, below the breasts. It worsens with movements. I have shoulder and back pain on bad days.

My only complain is pain and tenderness. To summarize the symptoms:

Constipation and bloody stools
Gas, bloating and cramping
Abdominal tenderness that wraps around the waist, worst just below the ribcage line.
Burping (every 2-3 seconds)

The medications tried by my GI specialist:
Prilosec 2 times a day - not doing a whole lot of good.

Exams scheduled to be done next month and in august:
Abdominal x-ray
Upper endoscopy

Do you think that these exams are sufficient. I also hear that lack of acidity can pose similar symtoms to having acid reflux. I don't know what it is that i have. I am only concerned about the abdominal tenderness and body aches.

I would really appreciate if anyone can shed a light on this.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:20 am

User avatar It sounds like you are doing what you need to be doing in seeing a GI MD.

The only thing I see is that maybe you should discuss with your doctor having a colonoscopy instead, because a sigmoidoscopy only does the lower portion of the large intestine, whereas the colonoscopy does all of it; obviously not missing anything higher up.
 LibertyGirl - Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:11 am

Thanks so much for the reply. I will ask my doctor about it. Also i have a very vague symptoms in addition to the bloody stools, constipation, burps, gas and bloating.
The abdominal tenderness i have wraps around the whole ab, oblique area. This tenderness extends upto ribcage, of the sides of the ribs. The weird thing about this tenderness is that it feels like tenderness in the soft tissues, fat layer. I can feel the fibrous nature of the muscles. When i touch i feel tiny round nodules all over (unlike lymph nodes, these are very tiny). When i touch or move my hands over my skin, i feel the soft tissue structures, blood vessels, nodes, etc which are extremely tender to touch. Can something related to GI cause issues with the soft tissues. My PCP is not sure what this is. He does not think any imaging system can reveal it. I am so lost. Even my skin gets to tender because of it. Its mainly in the trunk area and abdominal area. Some days are worse than the others. Any idea? So far, my PCP thinks the myalgia is perhaps due to fibromyalgia. But this just started happening 2 months ago and i do not have the tender points associated with the disorder.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:01 am

User avatar I'm sorry, I am at a loss for that problem. Maybe some blood work is in order.
 akitaakita - Wed Oct 05, 2005 1:04 pm

I am not sure how this posting stuff works, but I have been trying to find the answer to these symptoms you described for a year.

When i touch or move my hands over my skin, i feel the soft tissue structures, blood vessels, nodes, etc which are extremely tender to touch.

Did anyone have any answers?


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us