Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Daily Heartburn & horrible pain under ribs and deep in b

ChristieB - Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:27 pm

I have been suffering with Heartburn since I have been 15years old. I am now 38. I am now having alot of pain under both the right and left sides of my ribs, this pain travels through my back (kidney area) and then into my lower stomach. I have had my Gallbladder, and Appendix removed. Over the past year I have lost approximatly 55 lbs. No diet was used. I was a Phlebotomist about 8 years ago, and had a needle stick after taking blood from a Hepatitis C positive patient. My question is, could this be related to the needle stick or maybe kidney stones. The pain is so bad at times, I can hardly bear to stand. I am chilled 75% of the time, no appetite, and when I do eat the pain goes from a 2 to about an 8. I take baking soda to relieve the bloating and discomfort from the heartburn. My bowel movements are frequent, and very thin when expelled. My urine has a smell, cloudy, and ranges in color from pale yellow to an amber color. I am not on any kind of medication. What could this be?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:19 pm

User avatar You need to get to a doctor as soon as possible, it is a very dangerous sign to lose that drastic amount of weight without trying, not mention the severity of your symptoms.

Cloudy urine with an odor suggests a bladder infection, which travels to the kidneys and is very serious without immediate antibiotic treatment. The chilling may indiate a fever; it is an emergency.

Abnormal bowel movements (change) also can be a serious problem and need evaluation.

Do you have any yellowing of the whites of your eyes? Skin? Since you have been exposed to Hepatitis C, you need a liver function study and an STD panel, including hepatitis C antibody.

Please get to the ER ASAP.