Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Daily Heartburn & horrible pain under ribs and deep in b

ChristieB - Mon Jun 20, 2005 1:27 pm

I have been suffering with Heartburn since I have been 15years old. I am now 38. I am now having alot of pain under both the right and left sides of my ribs, this pain travels through my back (kidney area) and then into my lower stomach. I have had my Gallbladder, and Appendix removed. Over the past year I have lost approximatly 55 lbs. No diet was used. I was a Phlebotomist about 8 years ago, and had a needle stick after taking blood from a Hepatitis C positive patient. My question is, could this be related to the needle stick or maybe kidney stones. The pain is so bad at times, I can hardly bear to stand. I am chilled 75% of the time, no appetite, and when I do eat the pain goes from a 2 to about an 8. I take baking soda to relieve the bloating and discomfort from the heartburn. My bowel movements are frequent, and very thin when expelled. My urine has a smell, cloudy, and ranges in color from pale yellow to an amber color. I am not on any kind of medication. What could this be?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:19 pm

User avatar You need to get to a doctor as soon as possible, it is a very dangerous sign to lose that drastic amount of weight without trying, not mention the severity of your symptoms.

Cloudy urine with an odor suggests a bladder infection, which travels to the kidneys and is very serious without immediate antibiotic treatment. The chilling may indiate a fever; it is an emergency.

Abnormal bowel movements (change) also can be a serious problem and need evaluation.

Do you have any yellowing of the whites of your eyes? Skin? Since you have been exposed to Hepatitis C, you need a liver function study and an STD panel, including hepatitis C antibody.

Please get to the ER ASAP.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us