Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Kwashiorkor Disease

iammeghan - Tue Jun 21, 2005 3:11 pm

My boss has Kwashiorkor disease. Should I be afraid of contracting it. She is from Ethiopia and use to drink fecal infested water. If she coughs can she spread it? Please help.
 Kim C, RN - Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:49 pm

I can't imagine that she has Kwashiorkor disease. Kwashiorkor is a form of malnutrition caused by a protein deficient diet. If she's from Ethiopia, she may have had it in the past, but surely it's resolved by now. You don't say where you're from, but unless you're all still in Ethiopia, I just don't see her having this. Of course I've been known to be wrong! :D

Did this diagnosis come from your boss, or is it second-hand information??

Anyone coughing around me gives me cause for concern (I don't want the latest bug floating around) but in your case I highly doubt that contracting Kwashiorkor from your boss is an issue.

I'm curious as to how you came to the conclusion that she's got Kwashiorkor. Do you mind posting and telling me?? Thanks...