Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: constant pain in right side

 jz23qt - Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:46 pm

I really need some help. I have been experiencing pain in my right side for a very long time. i have had ultrasounds, bloodwork, colonoscopy,endoscopy, and all came back normal. The only thing found was that I have IBS. For the past two months the pain is always there. It is mainly located under my right rib cage and I experience a lot of gas and bloating. i have some symptoms of IBS but no too much anymore becuase of diet changes. The pain has caused chest pain and sometimes even limits my breathing. I don't know if thats all related but my PCP now had me on an inhaler becuase he thinks i have asthma due to my allergies. I really need some insight. When i use the inhaler the pain in the right side almost feels like a spasm.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:35 am

User avatar Hi jz23qt,
Does the pain change or are there any other symptoms when you eat certain foods?
 jz23qt - Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:32 am

It sometimes gets worse with certain foods. Like last night I ate prok and rice and I had the pain still so today. I get a lot of gas too.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:39 am

User avatar Hi jz23qt,
The purpose for me inquiring about certain foods is if gallbladder dysfunction is present, foods high in fat content exacerbate the condition. Ultrasounds identify gallstones etc., but a Hida scan is more definative of dysfunction verses stones.
 jz23qt - Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:15 am

Just out of curiousity would gallbladder problems also cause trouble breathing.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jul 07, 2005 1:58 pm

User avatar Hi jz23qt,
Sometimes gallbladder dysfunction may cause such pain in the right upper abdomen that the pain radiates up in the right side of the chest and around under the shoulder blade.
 jz23qt - Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:11 pm

The allergy doc and gastro doc joined forces and now called me in a prescription of nexium for the stomach and still to take the albuterol.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:18 pm

User avatar Hi jz23qt,
If your current treatment doesn't alleviate the problem, be sure to alert your physician. Also inquire about the scan.
 plastic - Mon Jul 11, 2005 5:09 am

:idea: Chronick pain - is important symptom. First of all, you must to discept any oncology process. Don't be afraid. If ultrasounds, bloodwork, colonoscopy,endoscopy, and all came back normal there is as maximum first level. You should complete test of oncomarceks, for example most important is Cr-19-9.
Also important have you some other problems with weakness, appetite, weight and mood.
P.s:sorry for my bad english :oops:
 plastic - Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:58 am

I have found intresting site about your problem -

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us