Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: SOB and Mid-upper Abdominal Pain

 js2777 - Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:01 pm

27-year old male, 6'0ft 275lbs. A year and a half ago I went to the doctor with the feeling like my lungs didn't have room to fully inflate, some general chest discomfort, and the feeling like there was something in my throat. I have tried various inhaled medications with no results and have a pulmonary funtion test come back normal with slightly low lung volume. I have had my thyroid function checked and a cardiac work-up, all normal. In 1999 I had bowel obstruction surgery and the doctor removed many adhesions. I am on protonix 40mg 2x daily. Over the past two months things have gotten worse. The breathing is the same and is not made worse by exercise. I seem to now have a pause when I go to swallow solid foods or saliva, not liquids. The pain at the base of my ribcage is constant and worse after I eat. Last week I had bloodwork, chest and abdominal x-rays all normal. I am growing frustrated. Any help?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:35 am

Dear Js2777,

Well, I think what you have to do next is an upper endoscopy to check your esophagus especially the lower part and your stomach as well. Your chest X-ray is totally normal?!

On the other hand... you can have a Ct-scan for your chest and abdomen and that would certainly reveal what's going on. With the upper endoscopy they can get some biopsies and have it analyzed from lesions that are suspected and causing you that pause when you swallow.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us