Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Stomache problems becomming more serious

 Gracie - Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:29 am

I am a 24 year old female. I do not health insurance since turning 18, so I cannot see a doctor. I was hoping for some help and possible some things I could do to help make this go away.

It started about a month and a half ago, I lost my job and was under a lot of stress, worrying about bills. I started to get severe stomache aches. Sometimes they feel like burning, crampy pain, and other times it is very sharp pain where I cant move till it passes. I have also become very bloated and swollen in my stomache, and sometiems have heartburn. I also have been burping all the time, and this is odd, because I never belched before this. I have this pain every day, although it coems and goes, sometimes it is tolerable, sometimes it hurts very bad. When I have this pain, I can feel it in my stomache where it hurts, it is very hard, and very painful to push in on this spot that hurts.
I have also noticed that I only have a bowel movement less than once a week now,it is very hard stool and the last time I went, there was blood in it. This really scared me beacuse I know that means that this is a bigger problem that just a tmmy ache, but I cannot see a doctor to find out what the problem is.

If anyone can tell me what this sounds like, and if there is anything I can do at home to remedy it. My last resort would be going to the ER to see if they can do anythign, because a regular doctors office wont take me. And I cannot qualify for government assistance.
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Mon Jul 25, 2005 11:40 am

User avatar Gracie,
No one can diagnose without examing you. You could be dealing with a serious problem. If you can not get into a Doctor's office, then by all means , go to the Emergency Room. I would do this today.
 Gracie - Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:09 pm

An ER visit would be a very lst resort because I would not be able to pay for it, and I already have a huge stack of medical bills I cannot pay for because a few years ago I had to have surgery to remove bad cells in my cervix.
I understand no one can diagnose. but I was hoping some with the same symptoms or a doctor who read this could give me some insight to what cold be the problem, and if there is anything I can do to fix it. I really cannot afford to see a doctor, have tests done or anything. I know that isnt really a great thing, but there isnt anythign I can do, the health care system has this huge gap in between the young and the old, they don't look after the in between. I havent had any of the followups after having my cervix removed because doctors wouldnt see me because I never paid any of the surgical bills.
 wassupwassabi - Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:29 am

I agree, you should seek a medical opinion in case it is a sign of something serious. But if you absolutely can't, you might try eating more fiber (prunes work well for me if I'm constipated) and Gas-X with antacid to help with the heartburn and bloating if you're not already doing that. I hope you feel better.
 burpingguy - Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:05 pm

Hi Gracie, you have many of the symptoms I have and all of mine started when I got laid off as well. For some reason, some people's bodies can't handle the stress very well. Anyway, you definately need to go see a doctor - most cities and states have some sort of public clinic that can help people with limited incomes, look in the yellow pages or call your local health district. Even if you have some income and don't qualify for state aid, they may be able to set up a flexible repayment plan that can work for you. If you do have what I have, then you need to be taking some sort of acid reducer like Rinitadine, which is generic and is available in most grocery stores/phamacies. It doesn't last as long as prescription ones (like Protonix) but it's a lot cheaper. I haven't found anything that helps with the bloating and the burping but I'm working on it - it's been five years now. Stay positive and try to do things that relieve your stress. Being with friends and keeping occupied helps me.
 analove - Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:18 am

Hi, I'm 18 years old and have been suffering from an eating disorder for the past year or so. I'm 5'2 and weigh 97 lbs. Recently with in the past couples months i have been feeling extreme stomach pains. it usually originates in my lower left abdomen and upper right under ribs. i am always tired and have extreme mood swings. i also get sick after eating meals. i take dietary pills and im wondering if im messing up my insides and this is why i have such horrible pain. any suggestions/advice on what to do?
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:09 am

User avatar Could you expand on the dietary pills you take and why they were prescribed?

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us