Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Pain at right hand side of ribcage & diarrhea

slw987 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:09 pm

I am a 29 year old female and for the last 18 months I have suffered pain in the centre of my ribcage through to my back. It feels like a tender wound at the front and like pressure on my back as if someone has put a spear right through. This pain comes and goes and is variable in its severity. I also have a constant dull ache at the base of my right ribcage which radiates upwards, this pain is constant. I have suffered diarrhea now for about 18 months. Between October 2004 to January 2005 the pain and diarrhea was so severe I shed just over 2 stone and ended up being hospitalised. I had an xray, ultra sound scan, barium meal, camera's both through my throat and anus, CT scan and various blood tests. Everything to date is normal. I have found high dosages of Zantac (600mg per day) helps the pain although my loose stools continue to be frequent, obnoxious smelling and ranging from very pale to very dark. I have endometreosis and try to eat as healthy as possible which sometimes helps with the pain but not the diarrhea. My weight has stablised atm. I am becoming desperate as I have been off work sick for 7 months and am about to loose my job and the hospital are basically thinking IBS as no other explanation. Can anyone help?
Thanks!
 mindless - Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:48 am

Hey,
I'm not a doctor, but I think you have chained reactions which are connected with few different disorders. It sounds a lot like IBS but also it could be some gallblader disorder or something with your liver. Generally it's bad digestive system and obviously your metabolism is going wrong way. I think you should take care about your diet and visit more doctors for more opinions.

Stay strong!
 Kirsty_Oz - Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:55 am

have you had your gall bladder checked out..
 mindless - Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:22 pm

Yeah, check your gallbladder. If you have clay colored stool do it it could be gallblader or pancreas.