Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Pain at right hand side of ribcage & diarrhea

slw987 - Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:09 pm

Hi,
I am a 29 year old female and for the last 18 months I have suffered pain in the centre of my ribcage through to my back. It feels like a tender wound at the front and like pressure on my back as if someone has put a spear right through. This pain comes and goes and is variable in its severity. I also have a constant dull ache at the base of my right ribcage which radiates upwards, this pain is constant. I have suffered diarrhea now for about 18 months. Between October 2004 to January 2005 the pain and diarrhea was so severe I shed just over 2 stone and ended up being hospitalised. I had an xray, ultra sound scan, barium meal, camera's both through my throat and anus, CT scan and various blood tests. Everything to date is normal. I have found high dosages of Zantac (600mg per day) helps the pain although my loose stools continue to be frequent, obnoxious smelling and ranging from very pale to very dark. I have endometreosis and try to eat as healthy as possible which sometimes helps with the pain but not the diarrhea. My weight has stablised atm. I am becoming desperate as I have been off work sick for 7 months and am about to loose my job and the hospital are basically thinking IBS as no other explanation. Can anyone help?
Thanks!
 mindless - Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:48 am

Hey,
I'm not a doctor, but I think you have chained reactions which are connected with few different disorders. It sounds a lot like IBS but also it could be some gallblader disorder or something with your liver. Generally it's bad digestive system and obviously your metabolism is going wrong way. I think you should take care about your diet and visit more doctors for more opinions.

Stay strong!
 Kirsty_Oz - Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:55 am

have you had your gall bladder checked out..
 mindless - Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:22 pm

Yeah, check your gallbladder. If you have clay colored stool do it it could be gallblader or pancreas.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us