Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Spastic colon??

 tgr1scr17 - Mon Aug 01, 2005 10:48 pm

When I was younger, my grandmother took me to a doctor for my stomach and they told her I had a spastic colon. Well, ever since I have been older and gone to the doctor by myself complaining of stomch pains, they never mention that I have a spastic colon. No one has ever mentioned it to me except her. Why is that? Is there such thing as a spastic colon?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:00 pm

User avatar Spastic colon, Nervous indigestion and IBS are all synonymous. IBS is one of the most common disorders that is seen in the clinic. The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance, that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
A possible genetic role has been implicated in the disease since family members are also usually found to experience same symptoms.
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might cause constipation or diarrhea
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

Iif the symptoms are frequent or sever enough to make you feel sick your have to seek medical advise from your physician to receive medication that will alleviate the symptoms and the possible complications.

Although the diagnosis of IBIS is primarily made on complete history and physical exmination, some tests may be recommended by some doctors to confirm the diagnosis. These tests include
Colonoscopy and Flexible sigmoidoscopy can be requested for visualization of the entire large intestine (colon) or the lower part of it (sigmoid colon) respectively.
Computerized tomography (CT) scan of the abdomen help to rule out other causes.
Only your physician with complete history and physical examination can provide you with the proper diagnosis and medication.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us