Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Painless swelling in anus or rectum

Suggi - Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:07 pm

It feels as though there is a lump in my anus or rectum but I am unable to feel it with a lubricated gloved finger. Yet, it really bothers me when I walk and sometimes at night it seems irritated in that spot. I have been inserting vaseline as I am allergic to cortisone and anusol and have a rectal fissure on the other side that sometimes requires the use of the vaseline. The vaseline seems to make it feel more normal for a while but later on in the day it bothers me again. What can it be????

Help AND THANKS. I forgot to mention I have Crohn's disease of the colon.

Suggi
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:50 am

Dear Suggi,

It can be from as simple as internal piles(haemorrhoids) to a polyp or more. I advice you to do a colonoscopy for an accurate diagnosis and proper management.