Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Should I be concerned?

cubfan - Fri Aug 19, 2005 10:50 pm

In Feb 05 I had a bowel resection. According to the pathologist, it was diverticulitis. The surgen seemed to think it may eventually turn into crohn's. I have had diarreha off and on for about 2 months. I believe it's from the amount of fiber I have been eating. I have also had bright red blood to faint pink on the toliet paper after a bowel movement. The last few days it seems like there has been more blood than in the past. Should I be concerned with the blood? I've also noticed some pieces of food not being fully digested...specifically red peppers. Other than the diarreha and blood, I have had no other symptoms.

Thanks for your response.
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:10 am

User avatar You are right to be concerned. Bright red blood usually means active bleeding, however only a doctor can tell where you are bleeding from. It could be as simple as irritation from increased bowel movements, or something more serious, such as Diverticuili bleeding.It certainly warrants a visit to your doctor.

As for the undigested food, certain fiber will not digest in people with your condition. You should ask your doc for a list of fruits and veggies you may eat.

Hope this is helpful.