Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Cystic Fibrosis

scook - Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:29 pm

:( Does having salt in you sweat, necessarily mean that you have Cystic fibrosis?
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Dec 30, 2003 1:03 am

User avatar Hi!

I have salt in my sweat, and I sure hope I don't have any cystic fibrosis! Cystic fibrosis presents usually at 6-8 months. It is an inherited disease usually seen in white males.

There is increased chloride content in the sweat (greater than 60mEq/L). This should be associated with lung/pancreatic disease or a family history of cystic fibrosis (usually in siblings) to diagnose cystic fibrosis.

Hope this helps.

Warm regards,

-Bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us