Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Lower Left Abdomen Discomfort..

msmisty - Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:56 am

:?: I have discomfort on my lower left abdomen area, and also get back pain. Some times after I have a bowel movement it feels better. Lately, when I ly on my left side, it gets uncomfortable and I have to move to my right side. I do have alot of gas, and sometimes feel bloated. I have a regular movement daily, but I use a fiber pill to keep it moving. I have been diagnosed with gall stones, and am scheduled to have it removed this month. Are these symptoms from that? Or is this something else. I also have a cyst on my kidney, but nothing is being done about that. Will these symptoms go away after surgery? :?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:57 pm

User avatar Dear msmisty,

Abdominal pain, associated with Gas, Bloating and irregular bowel movements is more likely to be due to IBS. Crampy abdominal pain, often relieved by defecation is a typical symptom of IBS.The disease is not due to inflammation in the wall of the GI and is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaints off
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool

Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition

Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract.

Gall bladder disease and Renal cysts dose not give similar picture, so their contribution to your symptoms is very unlikely.

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to keep on Follow up with your doctor.