Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: emotional vomitting

mbshawaii - Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:59 pm

im 22 years old, and just received very very difficult news. I haven't slept much lately, and have been vomitting non stop for 3 days. I went to my university health center yesterday and they gave me a shot (Tigran?) for nausea. I was able to get some soda crackers down yesterday, but as of this morning, im vomitting again. I can't seem to calm down enough to allow my stomache to be easy. Im starving and can't eat. Outside of going to the hospital, what are your suggestions.

thanks very much
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:11 pm

User avatar Dear mbshawaii,

For adults, vomiting is occasionally a resul tof stress and fear. Bulimia (intentional vomiting to control weight) is a severe form of stress induced vomiting. Vomiting induced by psychiatric disorders and stress is a CNS mediated process. Treatment in these cases aims to inhibit the neurotransmitters that are
believed to regulated the process of Vomiting.

Stress induced gastritis and gastric mucosal lesions are also to be considered and should be ruled out in the diagnosis of stress induced vomiting.

Since you have persistent vomiting, you have to consult your physician as soon as possible for proper management.