Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: please help

 emciuk - Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:55 pm

My aunt, who lives in Italy, has been having problems serious digestive (?) problems for the last three years and nobody, so far, has been able to figure out what's wrong with her. She can’t eat any grain, even if gluten free. she can't eat fruit (only oranges seem to be ok), absolutely no milk or dairy products, chicken or eggs...f she eats any of these foods she feels like passing out (complete loss of strength in her limbs) and sometimes gets the chills.
She has seen several doctors and has tested negative for celiac disease, negative for allergies, cancer. The only thing found in blood tests is that she has very high levels of bilirubin.

Lately, she has been losing a frightening amount of weight. I am afraid she will die if we do not find the right doctor or center to advice us on what to do

Any suggestions or leads would be highly appreciated
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:49 pm

User avatar Dear emciuk,

Adults who suffer from acquired food intolerance should be investigated for one of the following disease:
Gastritis and duodenitis,
Inflammatory bowels syndrome (ulcerative colitis, Crohn's disease), in which hepatitis and hepatic cirrhosis can occur as part of the disease immunological reactions.
Cholecystitis and biliary tracts diseases, which can be associated with elevated billirubin level

Cancer pancreas is also to be ruled out in the diagnosis of her case. Patients with pancreatic cancer commonly present with nonspecific pain and weight loss. Cancer pancreas affecting Body and tail can present with weight loss, food intolerance, hyperbillirubinemia.
The disease is better diagnosed using Dual-phase helical computed tomography.

She should be properly investigated to find out what cold be the underlying cause for definitive treatment. Meanwhile she has to avoid any type of food for which she is allergic or intolerant.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us