Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Tests for cancer

 TomR1972 - Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:13 pm

I told my GI Dr. about burping up so much after eating, pain under my left rib cage, a dropping spasm like sensation in my stomach followed by me forcing a hurtfull burp out.

Question is this I have had abdominal ultrasound, said i have very mild fatty liver and some vascular abnormality. So he wanted me to go for a ct scan to see the further the vascular abnormality. The ct scan results confirm a mild fatty liver, discuss's further about the vascular abnormality Dr says i was born with other than that everything else was normal. But I still get left side pain, severe burping issues after eating, this dropping sensation in my stomach that makes me feel like burping usually forcing out a painfull burp with or wihtout liquid. He seems to think that he's covered it all even though after the first initial exam he wanted to do an endoscopy. Now after the abdominal ultrasound and ct he thinks all is well and wants me to loose 30 lbs for the fatty liver.

What should I do? I am thinking i should give it another month and either go back and request an endoscopy from him or get a 2nd opinion. What is everyone elses thoughts?

If i have stomach cancer or something similar would that have been coverd in my tests? He also did a cbc with me and that all came back perfect.


Tom R
 cindy27 - Wed Sep 21, 2005 8:11 pm

I do no think you have stomach cancer because that would have showed in your CT. do you have acid reflux? have they checked for a hernia? have they checked your gallbladder? just some things to ask. i have stomach problems, and i have had every test out there for the stomach. i do not think it is anything serious.
 TomR1972 - Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:16 pm

I don't think I do but I have this but wanted to see if cancer could be easily missed on a ct scan. He wanted to do an endoscopy but with the ct scan results i guess he decided against it. The abdominal ultrasound and ct scan noted the gall bladder as fine, don't know how they decide if you have a hernia, i have acid reflux but not at night so he feels its not an ulcer since i feel fine at night . Who knows!!!
 Derek H, RN - Thu Sep 22, 2005 6:24 pm


It would be very unlikely for them to miss cancer on a ct scan but as far as the endoscopy goes this would be the next thing that they should do as a matter of course, the hernia that i am thinking of is called a Hiatus Hernia, this is when the upper part of the stomach protrudes through the diaphragm and can cause the symptoms you prescibe, ome antacids can help but dependent on your physical health sometimes surgery is an option, I would go back to see your physician and make these suggestions to him an if not satisfied you should seek a second opinion.

Good luck and best wishes.
 TomR1972 - Fri Sep 23, 2005 12:27 am

About this funny sensation that comes and goes at various different times. Seems like its more prominant after i eat or when i am hungry, sort of like a dropping sensation or an internal burp that doesnt move, makes me jerk or grab the back of my neck to take the sensation away Do you get feelings similar to this with a hernia? It usually makes me feel like forcing a burp out when i get it. Could this be heart? Should I be getting my heart checked out as well? I am 32 but have heart disease in family. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

Tom R

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us