Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: bowel movement in sleep

hexalexa22 - Fri Sep 30, 2005 1:16 am

My boyfriend has recently had a bowel movement in his sleep. I know I will have a hard time getting him to a doctor, let alone talk to me about it. I know that this is also the second time that i know of that this has happened. He is really embarresed, but if this is a problem, then I want him to get help. He has mentioned hemmorroids, and diarreha. Is this something that he needs to go to a doctor about, or am I just being paraniod?
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:46 am

User avatar You should encourage your boyfriend to see a doctor. Having a bowel movement in his sleep isn't normal and should be looked into.
 Badheeb - Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:24 am

nocturnal diarrhea e.g that awaken the person from sleep is considered organic one & not psychological, so stool analysis is a must during the attack
 suesie1965 - Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:24 pm

I'm type1 diabetic and I'm 43 with the same problem "hexalexa22" boyfriend. I also have diabetic nueropathy. I've seen my Dr. about this and he mainly changed type of insulin on me. I'm just trying to figure out why it still happens occassionally.