Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: is it just indigestion?

 panacea - Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:34 am

So from time to time I get gassy - mostly burping, but when I burp I get this rancid, almost fecal taste in my mouth. My husband can hardly believe that that smell came from my stomach / mouth. Occasionally it will be followed by cramping and diahhrea - other times cramping and constipation and other times it will just go away. I haven't pinpointed anything dietary that seems to cause it nor can i link it to nerves or anxiety. Eating someting light helps for a little while - it seems only as long as the food is in my stomach, but after a while it comes back. I usually treat it with some pepto bismol and it helps a little, but not always. Please give me any ideas that you might have. Thanks a bunch.
 Nurse4you - Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:05 am

Dear panacea
With the symptoms you are describing I recommend seeing your physician. Continuous reflux, over time can cause damage to your esophagus. It is possible you have an ulcer, sometimes treated with medication like Prilosec, Prevacid or Nexium.
I discourage chronic use/overuse of antancids like Tums as over use can cause electrolyte disturbances, which in turn can cause confusion, hear irregularities, etc.
Please be seen by your physician. He may order an EGD, where they sedate you and look down your esophagus almost to your stomach to ascertain is there is any damage or irregularities. You could have a hiatal hernia as well. It's hard to say for sure without examining you or having any diagnostic information available.
Hope this helps!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us