Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Throat tightness

sojoedeck - Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:55 pm

:?: I am a 38 yr old women... When I lie down at night I get this constant tightness or choking sensation in the back of my throat. I find it difficult to breath at times. There are times when I feel I need to drink water because my throat feels dry, but that does not help. This sensation wakes me up too. I do not have this feeling during the day, or when I'm sitting. I occationally will have a horsness to my voice, or when I'm tired my voice feels weak. There have been a few times where while eating I experience a choking feeling and need to repeatdly swallow my food. That symptom has subsided, haven't had it in over a year. I just have the throat thing going on. Please help if you can.
Thanks
 Nurse4you - Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:20 pm

Dear sojoedeck-
Your symptoms sound consistent with esophageal stricture, narrowing of the esophagus. There are other things it could be as well. Do you have a history of smoking? Asthma? Reflux or heartburn?
I recommend that yoo be seen by your physician for further analysis.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us