Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: painful bowel movements and bleeding

Kassie - Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:18 am

Hi,

For awhile now I have had painful bowel movements and then find that there is blood when i wipe that area, not a lot, but some. Afterwards it takes awhile for the pain to go away so it is hard to sit down at times. I went to the doctor and she just gave me some medicine to help with it, and for about 2 weeks when i took the medicine and afterwards i felt fine, but then the pain and bleeding comes back. i do not know why. this has happened twice already, over a period of a few months. Should i be worried? I don't want to go to the doctor again to have her tell me the same thing. I was just wondering if this was normal or that it is because i don't excercise or eat enough fruits and vegetables. Anything you have to say will be of great help. Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:08 am

User avatar Hi Kassie,
Any unexplained pain or bleeding during bowel movements should always be evaluted by a physician. Numerous conditions may cause either, (pain/blood) ie., irritation in the lining of the intestine, polyps, rectal tears, hemorrhoids, etc. Diagnostic studies would assist in identification of the causative factor.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us