Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: painful bowel movements and bleeding

Kassie - Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:18 am

For awhile now I have had painful bowel movements and then find that there is blood when i wipe that area, not a lot, but some. Afterwards it takes awhile for the pain to go away so it is hard to sit down at times. I went to the doctor and she just gave me some medicine to help with it, and for about 2 weeks when i took the medicine and afterwards i felt fine, but then the pain and bleeding comes back. i do not know why. this has happened twice already, over a period of a few months. Should i be worried? I don't want to go to the doctor again to have her tell me the same thing. I was just wondering if this was normal or that it is because i don't excercise or eat enough fruits and vegetables. Anything you have to say will be of great help. Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:08 am

User avatar Hi Kassie,
Any unexplained pain or bleeding during bowel movements should always be evaluted by a physician. Numerous conditions may cause either, (pain/blood) ie., irritation in the lining of the intestine, polyps, rectal tears, hemorrhoids, etc. Diagnostic studies would assist in identification of the causative factor.