Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Holes around anus

 guy21 - Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:12 pm

I shouldnt say holes theyre more like depressions and they are right next to my anus. i first noticed them around the age of 13(im now 21). they started small and now the are very noticable. if one were to examine my anus they would not need to search for them.

symptoms i do have:
-depressions at either end of anus (about half a cm deep)
-redness around anus. the redness seems to spread to the point where my butt cheeks would rest if i was standing. (skin feels and looks noraml except for the redness)
-bowel movement pain. its very rare though. i used to have pain often a couple years ago, but not so much anymore.
-anul mucuss. very rare
-blood in stool. this has only happened twice and with very little blood.

symptoms i don't have
-constant pain
-prosistant diarrhea
-they don't hurt if i touch them
-general disfigurement of my anus (except ofcourse for the depressions)

i would appreciate any advice or thoughts on this problem i have
thanks for reading
 guy21 - Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:27 pm

one important peice of info i left out. the depressions are at either end of my anus not on the side.
 hamzi2162 - Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:33 am

I have discovered a small lump right on the opening of my anus.
It is a bit bigger than a pea and looks normal in colour.
It feels exactly the same as a pea – solid behind the skin covering it.
I am extremely worried as I don’t know what it is.
it's not painful, but u can just feel that it's there.
i would really need to know if it's serious or not.
i would really appreciate it

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us