Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: left side burning/pain

iowajoe - Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:13 pm

Hello, I have been experiencing a recurring burning/pain on my left side for two months. It does not occur every day, and it only lasts for around 15 seconds at a time, several times a day. Is there any suggestions as to what this is?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:47 pm

User avatar Dear iowajoe,

It would have been helpful if you could give more details about the characters of this pain. I assumed that the pain is felt in the upper left side of the abdomen.

Gastritis or easophagitis is more likely to be the cause of your complaint.
Gastritis is an inflammatory disorder affecting the gastric mucosa.
Causes include:
- Reflux Gastritis: due to exposure to the irritant secretions of the gall bladder and pancreas.
- Infectious Gastritis: commonest is H. pylori.
- Chemical irritants: like NSAIDs.

Peptic ulcer disease (PUD) is an open sore in the mucosa of the stomach or duodenum.

Patients usually present with burning upper Abdominal pain that increases when the stomach is empty and relieved by Antacids, Vomiting or eating.

Esophagitis is commonly seen in people with:
GERD
Hiatus Hernia.
Infections

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached.
I advise you to be checked by your doctor.