Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/15/2017.

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Blood after a Bowel Movement

Canadian Girl - Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:53 pm

Please Help! I've had blood in my bowel for about a week now, however I did not start to feel any pain until a couple day's ago. My bowel is alway's soft or runny. Could you please tell me if I should be as concerned as I am.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:14 am

User avatar Often ongoing diarrhea irritates the lining of the rectum and results in blood in the stool.

With diarrhea and blood in stool for a week, you should be seen by a doctor. It may be only a virus, or it could be something a little more serious. How old are you?

Blood in the stool can be a hemorrhoid, either external or internal. Internal hemorrhoids often do not come with pain. It could also be a fissure, a kind of tear in the rectum. If it is bright red, it is more likely these two; if dark or black it could be from higher up in the colon which would be more serious.

At any rate, it is not normal for people to have diarrhea for a week. It is probably a virus or some type of infection, in which case a medical exam/treatment is necessary. See your doctor.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us