Medical Specialty >> Gastroenterology

Question: Blood after a Bowel Movement

Canadian Girl - Fri Nov 11, 2005 2:53 pm

Please Help! I've had blood in my bowel for about a week now, however I did not start to feel any pain until a couple day's ago. My bowel is alway's soft or runny. Could you please tell me if I should be as concerned as I am.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Nov 12, 2005 7:14 am

User avatar Often ongoing diarrhea irritates the lining of the rectum and results in blood in the stool.

With diarrhea and blood in stool for a week, you should be seen by a doctor. It may be only a virus, or it could be something a little more serious. How old are you?

Blood in the stool can be a hemorrhoid, either external or internal. Internal hemorrhoids often do not come with pain. It could also be a fissure, a kind of tear in the rectum. If it is bright red, it is more likely these two; if dark or black it could be from higher up in the colon which would be more serious.

At any rate, it is not normal for people to have diarrhea for a week. It is probably a virus or some type of infection, in which case a medical exam/treatment is necessary. See your doctor.