Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Abnormal pap smear...help

nadjjaa - Mon Nov 14, 2005 10:51 am

Hi, nurse just called from my gyno's office to tell me that my latest pap smear came back abnormal. Should I be worried?

I have had yearly exams for probably the last ten years and have never had one come back abnormal.

I started my period less than 18 hours after the exam. Could the presence of menstrual blood be the reason the test came back abnormal??

Thanks,
nadjjaa
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:15 pm

User avatar Period may affect the result of the PAP smear. Presence of infection may also affect the PAP. The first thing that should be done is a follow up PAP smear to make sure the results were accurate.This will probably be scheduled a month after the first abnormal Pap. Antibiotics may be perscribed to take care of any infection.
I would not be concerned just yet, until further tests are done.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us