Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: PCOS and medication

scarlette - Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:20 am

Hi
I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and my gyn has put me on some medication : spiractin 100mg and Primolut-N 5mg
What I would like to know is how these work, is there any possibility of falling pregnant when taking the spiractin ?

What are the Do and don't while on those tablets ? Especially the spiractin one ?

Is the Primolut one a sort of contraceptive pill ?

Thanks for letting me know!

Cheers

Thanks a lot to the doctors for their help :D
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:16 am

User avatar Hi scarlette,
Spiractin is a diuretic (removes excess fluid). It is sometimes used for treatment of female hirtuism (excess body hair) and has an antiandrogenic effect. PRIMOLUT N contains norethisterone, and is similar to the hormone progesterone. So yes, it's a contraceptive pill and is used for menstrual irregularities. Metformin (an insulin sensitizing medication) is also a drug used in treatment of PCOS because there may be a link between insulin resistance and this syndrome in which you may want to inquire about.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us