Question: PCOS and medication

scarlette - Fri Nov 18, 2005 5:20 am

Hi
I have just been diagnosed with PCOS and my gyn has put me on some medication : spiractin 100mg and Primolut-N 5mg
What I would like to know is how these work, is there any possibility of falling pregnant when taking the spiractin ?

What are the Do and don't while on those tablets ? Especially the spiractin one ?

Is the Primolut one a sort of contraceptive pill ?

Thanks for letting me know!

Cheers

Thanks a lot to the doctors for their help :D
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:16 am

User avatar Hi scarlette,
Spiractin is a diuretic (removes excess fluid). It is sometimes used for treatment of female hirtuism (excess body hair) and has an antiandrogenic effect. PRIMOLUT N contains norethisterone, and is similar to the hormone progesterone. So yes, it's a contraceptive pill and is used for menstrual irregularities. Metformin (an insulin sensitizing medication) is also a drug used in treatment of PCOS because there may be a link between insulin resistance and this syndrome in which you may want to inquire about.