Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Painful intercourse

 sillynilly - Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:46 am

I have recently had a baby she is now 3 months old.
I have rhaumatoid arthritis (diagnosed @ 5).
Recently I have started experiencing knife like pain deep inside during sexual intercourse. I have also experienced constipation and abdominal pain due to random shooting pain which I think is gas.
When passing stools recently (for about 1 week and a half) the bm caused a tear and some bleeding.
And starting yesterday, I have started my period, and it is much heavier than usual.
Those are the facts, don't know which ones will help...but I have concern.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Jan 01, 2006 1:58 am

User avatar Hello sillynilly,
I hope you are feeling better now.
Pain with deep penetration can be caused by several conditions including diseases of the bowel (eg, inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome). This may also explain your bowel symptoms.
Other causes include chronic pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis, enlarged uterus from myoma or adenomyosis; fixed retroverted uterus and inadequate sexual arousal. Pelvic conditions can also result in pain with deep penetration, this can result from pelvic masses or pelvic relaxation.[1,2]

I recommend that you refer to your doctor as soon as possible if you are still experiencing symptoms.

Best regards.

1. Smith RP. Gynecology in primary care. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins, 1997:537-48.
2. Meana M, Binik YM, Khalife S, et al. Dyspareunia: sexual dysfunction or pain syndrome? J Nerv Ment Dis 1997;185(9):561-9.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us