Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Questions about Cycles and check ups

 AngieA - Sun Mar 28, 2004 7:04 pm

I have a question, I read on the form about irregular cycles and I wanted to know if it is bad to have them every 14-20 days in between. Also I wanted to know if people have to be checked up (like have to see a OB/GYN) or if they can just wait until they are active until they do, and Why do they?
 Dr. Russell M - Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:18 am

User avatar Hi!

I think what you have described could come under the term polymenorrhea, the causes of which can be organic, endocrine, anatomic or iatrogenic. It would be best to consult a gynecologist for the matter.

 AngieA - Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:03 am

What does polymenorrhea mean? I don’t t have an issue with menstruation, I was just curious, I have some friends like that.
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:33 pm

User avatar Hi!

Polymenorrhea means increased frequency of menstruation or a decrease in cycle length.

 chuckbut - Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:38 pm

This is a confusing website, but I hope I am replying to Angie about her frequent periods. Bill is correct that the definition of her problem is polymenorrhea, but that doesn't tell you anything. At age 19 most likely you haven't started to ovulate, or at least you don't ovulate regularly. This is not a problem unless you want to become pregnant, or your periods become very heavy. At age 19 you really should be ovulating, and probably that would warrant a visit to a gynecologist. If the frequent periods are a real nuisance, taking a birth control pill would be a good idea to regulate them. It would also have the advantage of decreasing the likelihood of more serious complications. When you do want to become pregnant, you would stop the BCPs and see if time had corrected to problem. If you didn't get pregnant in a reasonable time, then you would need to have further evaluation.
 Dr. Russell M - Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:10 am

User avatar Hi!

Thanks Chuck. The reason I did not elaborate on the problem was because Angie has mentioned that it was not an issue for her, and that she is just curious about it. But your post would definitely be helpful reading.

I feel the medics of this website do their best to answer the queries of its users in the best possible manner. Inadvertently, some are just curious and with an inquisitiveness for knowledge. For such, a direction rather than explanation would be all that is needed. Such efforts to provoke them to search in the right directions are not intended to confuse anyone.

I think Angie has been a long-enough user of this website to comment on its credibility. It would also be prudent to remind ourselves that to err is human, and the medics of this website are not off-limits.

Warm regards,


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us