Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Birth control & discharge problems

scotty71 - Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:36 pm

I had been on birth control pills for many years until about 1.5 yrs ago when I was having problems with secretion. My dr tested it & found anal bacteria which usually is only seen in pregnant women. At the time the only thing that stopped this secretion was discontinuing the pill. I am not a fan of barrier methods & would like to be on something like the pill again.
Has anyone heard of this problem?
Is a progestin-only pill an option?
Not sure if this affects any answer but, I had a non-cancerous polyp removed from my uterus about 2 months ago.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:25 pm

User avatar Hello,
It has been reported that oral contraceptive use versus other contraceptive methods is associated with a greater or similar frequency of candidiasis, increased numbers of anaerobic microorganisms, an increased or similar frequency of chlamydia trachomatis, and a reduced frequency of bacterial vaginosis and trichomoniasis.

The impact of contraceptive steroids on cellular and humoral immunologic factors may explain these observations. [1]

On the other hand, high dose oral contraceptive pills (OCP) have also been associated with vulvovaginal candidiasis. No link has been established with low dose OCPs.[2]

You should discuss the option of using low dose oral contraception with your doctor.

References:
===========
1. Roy S. Nonbarrier contraceptives and vaginitis and vaginosis. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1991 Oct;165(4 Pt 2):1240-4.
2. Nelson AL. The impact of contraceptive methods on the onset of symptomatic vulvovaginal candidiasis within the menstrual cycle. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1997 Jun;176(6):1376-80.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us