Question: Tubal Pregnancy

melba - Tue Jan 31, 2006 2:06 pm

I am a 32 year old, mother of two who had a tubaligation performed a little over two years ago. My doc just confirmed through a blood test that I am approx. 5 weeks pregnant. I will have another blood test in 48 hours to test the hormone levels, then an ultrasound in 1 week to see where the fetus is. What are my chances of giving birth to this child? Is it more likely to be a tubal pregnancy? I don't understand how this could happen.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Dec 01, 2006 6:23 am

Fallopian tubes help eggs to move from the ovary to the uterus each cycle (month).
Tubal ligation is a procedure done for women who chose not to become pregnant (permanently). There are different surgical procedures that are used to achieve this purpose like cauterization and tying (clips). Failure rates are reported in some cases and pregnancy could occur in 1 out of 200 women. Causes of tubal ligation failure may include:
incomplete closure of the tubes,
slipping out of the tying clips.
Reversal procedures of tubal ligation are also available and only specialists can advise which is more convenient if any is possible.
However, attention should be paid to exclude ectopic (tubal) pregnancy if pregnancy occurs after a tubal ligation due to an increased risk from the damaged tubes.