Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Blood clot?

kari13 - Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:06 pm

I am currently using the birth control pill Yasmin and have been doing so for about three months now. So far I haven't had any side effects, but today I couldn't help but notice a very sharp and sudden pain in the left side of my mid-calf on my right leg. It lasted less than a second but it caused my whole leg to practically convulse. I am aware that Yasmin can cause blood clots in the legs, though I was told that this was a very rare side effect and was probably nothing for me to worry about. However, I AM worried. My sister takes Yasmin as well, and has done so for over eight months without any side effects. I am 21, don't smoke, and have never had any history of anything related to this before.

Does anyone have a clue as to what this pain might be?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:10 am

User avatar Hi kari13,
Generally speaking a blood clot in the leg has other symptoms, ie., redness, warmth, swelling, etc. In the absence of any other symptoms (aside from a muscle spasm) in my opinion, a blood clot/DVT would not be my first impression.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us