Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Miscarriage?? and cramping

 Renae - Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:16 pm

I am 28 years old with no major medical problems.

I was about 12 days late for my period and my breasts were really tender so I thought I may be pregnant. The urine pregnancy test was faintly positive. Then I was at work and started spotting. By the morning I was cramping so bad that I could hardly stand up straight. I passed a large piece of tissue and several large clots. I started bleeding really heavy for about one and a half days then the bleeding stopped. The cramping hasn't stopped yet and this morning I started to spot again. All of this started on the 7th. I miscarried a baby about 2 years ago. It didn't happen like this.

Questions : Is it normal to cramp like this? Should I see a doctor (my OB is no longer practicing and there aren't any other one's in my town)? If it's okay to not see a doctor, what signs or symptoms should I look for to warrent further action?

Thank you so much for your reply!!

 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:54 am

User avatar Hi Renae,
History of a previous miscarriage may raise the risk factor of a future miscarriage. Many of the women whom experience a miscarriage do so before they ever have any knowledge of being pregnant. Taking into consideration of what you stated, heavy vaginal bleeding, with the passage of tissue/clots, may have very well been a miscarriage. I certainly hope that you followed up with an evaluation by a physician.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us