Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Miscarriage?? and cramping

Renae - Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:16 pm

I am 28 years old with no major medical problems.

I was about 12 days late for my period and my breasts were really tender so I thought I may be pregnant. The urine pregnancy test was faintly positive. Then I was at work and started spotting. By the morning I was cramping so bad that I could hardly stand up straight. I passed a large piece of tissue and several large clots. I started bleeding really heavy for about one and a half days then the bleeding stopped. The cramping hasn't stopped yet and this morning I started to spot again. All of this started on the 7th. I miscarried a baby about 2 years ago. It didn't happen like this.

Questions : Is it normal to cramp like this? Should I see a doctor (my OB is no longer practicing and there aren't any other one's in my town)? If it's okay to not see a doctor, what signs or symptoms should I look for to warrent further action?

Thank you so much for your reply!!

Renae
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:54 am

User avatar Hi Renae,
History of a previous miscarriage may raise the risk factor of a future miscarriage. Many of the women whom experience a miscarriage do so before they ever have any knowledge of being pregnant. Taking into consideration of what you stated, heavy vaginal bleeding, with the passage of tissue/clots, may have very well been a miscarriage. I certainly hope that you followed up with an evaluation by a physician.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us