Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Difficulty trying to concieve

Nital24 - Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:11 pm

I am a 28 yo female. My husband and I have been trying for our first child since July 2005. I went off the birth control pill in June 2005. I had normal menstral cycles from July - Oct but since November m cycles have been the normal 27 days apart but are only lasting for no more than 5 days. (Nov x 2 days, Dec x 4 days, Jan x 5 days). This month my period was 6 days late. It arrived on 2/17 with very severe cramping and nausea and by the third day had slowed to practically nothing. Prior to getting my period this month i had a big breakout on my face and neck, i was getting nauseous, i was very moody, and was very bloated. My cervial mucous, which is supposed to be a good sign when one is ovulating is the same at all points in my cycle. It is an off whiteish color and is not very thick. I never see the egg white looking mucous. Is that a sign that something is wrong? Also i had an abortion when i was 21, would that have anything to do with our difficulties. When i was on the pill my cycles were always normal. They came every month, on time, and lasted the normal 5 days. Should i be concerned? Is there something my doctors should be looking into?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:51 am

User avatar Hi Nital24,
In some women, after discontinuation of birth control pills, some menstrual abnormalities are present for a short amount of time. However, when persistent, an evaluation by a gynecologist is suggested. A physical exam, along with diagnostic studies to identify any homone imbalances, ovarian dysfunction, etc. is warranted.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us