Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: abnormal pap

Toy - Tue May 09, 2006 1:16 pm

37 year old.
I have a history of PCOS
Pap results came back and showed inflammation. I am curious as what the cause could be. No apparent signs of infection. I have been married for 17 years. During those years I have had no other partners and it is extremely doubtful that my husband has since he suffers from ED. I was married previously to a man that had many extramarital affairs. What could be the cause of the inflammation.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Wed May 10, 2006 12:13 pm

User avatar Hello,

Inflammation of the cervix is very common and usually does not mean there is a problem. If the Pap smear showed the inflammation is severe, your doctor may want to find the cause, such as an infection. In such a case your doctor may also recommend a repeat Pap smear to see if the inflammation has gone.

Best regards.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us