Question: PMS SYMPTOMS !!!!!!!!!!!

Melani - Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:52 am

Please could you tell me if it is normal in PMS to experience short breath and a tight chest.
I've had ECG's and x-rays done and all is well - my GP says that this is normal (????????????)

I've also found that sometimes my period pains come like waves, almost like contractions. When this happens I have extremely loose bowels and have to head for the loo at the most inopportune moments!! At these times all I can do is lay in a foetal position until the waves have passed.

is this normal for PMS ?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:06 am

User avatar Melani,
About 150 symptoms and signs have been associated with PMS. The more common ones include:
    swelling and tenderness in the breasts;
    a “bloated” feeling or temporary weight gain of a few pounds;
    skin blemishes or acne;
    swelling of hands and feet;
    headaches;
    nausea or constipation, followed by diarrhea at the onset of menstruation;
    increased thirst or appetite;
    a craving for certain foods—especially sweets and items high in salt;
    increased irritability or mood swings;
    insomnia or fatigue;
    forgetfulness or confusion;
    feelings of anxiety or loss of control;
    sadness or uncontrolled crying.
The cramp like contractions are characteristic of period pains. The onset of your period may be associated with diarrhea as stated earlier. Its a good thing you got examined for the shortness of breath and tight chest. Because nothing was found on examination I would presume this is due to a certain category of PMS symptoms called: PMS-A (PMS-Anxiety). The anxiety may be the result of the hormonal changes that occur before your period.