Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: PMS SYMPTOMS !!!!!!!!!!!

Melani - Wed Jun 02, 2004 4:52 am

Please could you tell me if it is normal in PMS to experience short breath and a tight chest.
I've had ECG's and x-rays done and all is well - my GP says that this is normal (????????????)

I've also found that sometimes my period pains come like waves, almost like contractions. When this happens I have extremely loose bowels and have to head for the loo at the most inopportune moments!! At these times all I can do is lay in a foetal position until the waves have passed.

is this normal for PMS ?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:06 am

User avatar Melani,
About 150 symptoms and signs have been associated with PMS. The more common ones include:
    swelling and tenderness in the breasts;
    a “bloated” feeling or temporary weight gain of a few pounds;
    skin blemishes or acne;
    swelling of hands and feet;
    headaches;
    nausea or constipation, followed by diarrhea at the onset of menstruation;
    increased thirst or appetite;
    a craving for certain foods—especially sweets and items high in salt;
    increased irritability or mood swings;
    insomnia or fatigue;
    forgetfulness or confusion;
    feelings of anxiety or loss of control;
    sadness or uncontrolled crying.
The cramp like contractions are characteristic of period pains. The onset of your period may be associated with diarrhea as stated earlier. Its a good thing you got examined for the shortness of breath and tight chest. Because nothing was found on examination I would presume this is due to a certain category of PMS symptoms called: PMS-A (PMS-Anxiety). The anxiety may be the result of the hormonal changes that occur before your period.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us