Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: i have a cribriform, or microperforate hymen

 i_am_batman - Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:47 am

i am 17 almost 18 years old, a female and have a cribriform, or microperforate hymen. i went to my gynochologist about a year ago to get a physical and my hymen is so tight and thick that she couldn't examine me at all. she couldn't even stick the tip of her pinky past it. she said that i might grow out of it, but i've done research on it and it's supposed to get thicker as you get older. i'm tired of using pads and being afraid of going to the ER when i have sex. do i need to get it removed somehow or will i 'grow out of it'? and if i do need to get it removed, what is the procedure?

thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:43 pm

User avatar About 3-4% of girls will have either an imporforate, microperforate or septate hymen. For girls with microperforate hymens, the hymen may be perforated enough to allow for blood flow but menses may be longer than the typical 4-5 days of bleeding due to the slower blood flow through a smaller hymenal opening.

Often, as you describe, girls with microperforate hymens are unable to insert a tampon. If they are able, they may have trouble removing it once the tampon has expanded.

Microperforate hymens may improve as the girl gets older, or they may not. At age 17, I suspect that you will not notice much spontaneous improvement. Intercourse may be difficult, or the hymenal tissue may tear as it normally would allowing for intercourse as usual.

Correction of this issue is done via a relatively simple surgery to cut away the excess hymenal tissue and create a "normal" opening. The surgery is done under anesthesia so you won't remember the surgery. Pain is generally fairly minor and controlled with pain medicines. Healing is fairly rapid.

Hope this helps.
 i_am_batman - Sat Jan 13, 2007 4:15 pm

thank you so much. that definately helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us