Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Convoluted Fallopian Tubes?

 ConcernedforWife - Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:11 pm

Yesterday my wife, age 35, was diagnosed by her doctor as having convoluted fallopian tubes. This came after an ultrasound. Her doctor referred her to a specialist and said her treatment options might be

1) having athroscoping surgery to investigate the extent of the problem.

2) invasive surgery to have one or both tubes removed.

She can't see the specialist for two weeks, and I am trying to find as much information out as possible for her. My questions are: how serious of an issue is this? Can a convoluted fallopian tube be treated without invasive surgery? Can it be corrected with surgery instead of being removed?

And also, how does this affect her fertility? Can she conceive if no treatment is taken? If one tube is removed can she still achieve a natural pregnancy? If one or both tubes are removed, is IVF still a possibility? The is not much information available about this on the web, and any help would be appreciated.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:56 am

User avatar Hi ConcernedforWife,
There is a procedure Fallopian Tube Canalization that is essentially catherization of the fallopian tubes, identifying blockage, dilation of the tube to a more normal size. This procedure may be successful in treating blocked fallopian tubes (depending on the area blocked). This information may not answer all of your questions but I do hope it was somewhat helpful. Best wishes.
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us