Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal Flatulence

caper24 - Sun Mar 25, 2007 12:00 am

This is rather embarassing but...

Sometimes (maybe a couple of times a month) I'll wake up during the night and as I roll over I'm experiencing vaginal flatulence.

This does not happen during or after sex, and I have not had a baby. There is no pain, discomfort or smell involved, and it only happens while I'm sleeping and I'm 24 years old.

From what I've looked into online there seems to be only 2 other common reasons this would happen without sex being a factor. I am not experiencing any of the symptoms of colovaginal fistula, and I don't know if Vaginal prolapse is something I should be able to notice visually but there have been no changes in the appearance of my vagina, I haven't had any children, and am still very "tight" down there.

I'm just wondering if I should be alarmed by this at all. It's something that would be very embarassing to talk to a doctor about, so I don't want to have to do it if it's not likely to be a problem...
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:28 am

User avatar Generally this is not a problem. It may be that air is able to enter the vagina while you are turning or twisting while asleep or at some other point during the day.

If you notice this is happening more often you should be evaluated for the possibility of a colo-vaginal fistual, even though without trauma this is very unlikely to form. Your gynecologist is the one to see.

Best wishes.
 7michelle7 - Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:06 pm

i have a similar problem. During or after sex, i have air bubbles in my vagina that come out and sound like a fart. It is really embarrassing and i need to know how to make it go away! please help me!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:26 pm

User avatar Hi 7michelle7,

This, too, is a normal process. Air enters the vagina during intercourse that subsequently is released. There isn't much I'm aware of to prevent this.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us