Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: PCOS FSH/LH ratio

angi82 - Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:17 pm

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian symdrone 6 years ago with a LH/FSH ratio of 4:1, hair issues, gaining weight easily (not overweight now though) and no period without being on the pill.

I just received recent blood work results and my LH/FSH ratio is now 5:1

Can you tell me more about having such a high ratio? Is the LH/FSH ratio "the" measure of how bad one's case of PCOS is? And would it even be possible for me to have a period when the ratio is that off?
Is the ratio related to insulin resistance? For example, if this ratio is really high would that mean I could have high insulin resistance as well? (My glucose results on my blood test were normal and didn't indicate diabetes.)

thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:57 pm

User avatar To my knowledge, the LH:FSH ratio is helpful in determining the presence of PCOS. I am not aware that it is helpful for much beyond that. I believe it does not correlate to insulin resistance, etc.

Insulin resistance is a part of PCOS and it is likely that you do have some degree of insulin resistance if you have PCOS. It is important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise to minimize chances of developing diabetes. There are also medications that can help with insulin resistance if you begin to develop increasing problems.

I cannot comment regarding the ability to have a period with this LH:FSH ratio.

I hope this helps some. Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us