Question: PCOS FSH/LH ratio

angi82 - Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:17 pm

I was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian symdrone 6 years ago with a LH/FSH ratio of 4:1, hair issues, gaining weight easily (not overweight now though) and no period without being on the pill.

I just received recent blood work results and my LH/FSH ratio is now 5:1

Can you tell me more about having such a high ratio? Is the LH/FSH ratio "the" measure of how bad one's case of PCOS is? And would it even be possible for me to have a period when the ratio is that off?
Is the ratio related to insulin resistance? For example, if this ratio is really high would that mean I could have high insulin resistance as well? (My glucose results on my blood test were normal and didn't indicate diabetes.)

thanks
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:57 pm

User avatar To my knowledge, the LH:FSH ratio is helpful in determining the presence of PCOS. I am not aware that it is helpful for much beyond that. I believe it does not correlate to insulin resistance, etc.

Insulin resistance is a part of PCOS and it is likely that you do have some degree of insulin resistance if you have PCOS. It is important to maintain a healthy diet and exercise to minimize chances of developing diabetes. There are also medications that can help with insulin resistance if you begin to develop increasing problems.

I cannot comment regarding the ability to have a period with this LH:FSH ratio.

I hope this helps some. Best wishes.