Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: Bleeding - stomach cramps after depo-provera, pregnant?

angel27 - Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:18 pm

HI IM 27/F AND VERY WORRIED I COULD BE PREG,I AM ON AN INJECTION CALLED DEPO-VERA WHICH I HAD ABOUT 5 DAYS AGO,BUT AFTER I HAD IT THE NEXTED DAY I STARTED BLEEDING WITH VERY BAD STOMACH CRAMPS THEN IT STOPPED.3 DAYS LATER IT STARTED AGAIN BUT THIS TIME I HAD A CLEAR MUCUS COMIN OUT AND HAD CRAMPS AND NAUSEA.WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME COULD I STILL BE PREG OR IS SOMETHING ELSE WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:38 pm

User avatar Depo-Provera can do just about anything to a woman's normal cycle. This can range from no bleeding to severe bleeding and just about anything in between. After about 6 months on the medication about 1/2 of women will no longer have a monthly cycle. After 12 months almost all women will stop having their monthly cycle. It will return after stopping the depo-provera.

I suspect that you may be experiencing some symptoms related to your medicine; however, this is a little soon. If you were ready to start your regular cycle it may be your normal cycle with some medication effect.

The medication does not start preventing pregnancy right away. I recommend that women use another form of birth control for 1 month after starting the medicine. So if there is a possibility of becoming pregnant I would recommend you take a home pregnancy test. The medication will not interfere with the test.

If your symptoms do not improve over the next few days I would recommend you see your doctor for an evaluation.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us