Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Ongoing abnormal discharge

 jomundo - Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:18 pm

I have had abnormal discharge for at least 6 years. I have seen doctors in the US, Japan, and Taiwan and have received a half dozen or so creams. I have also tried homeopathy: garlic cloves in the vagina and vinegar douches. While some of them have been quick fixes, I continue to have clumpy, malodorous, yellowish-white discharge, occasional itching, occasional pain during sex, and a lot of discharge.

Major changes in my life have included moving from the US to Japan to Taiwan and back to the US over 4 years. And, as you know, with that came new weather, new water, new foods, new stresses, etc. I have never had an STD or VD, etc.

Two months ago I saw a doctor and she said that I was producing an unusually large amount of white blood cells. She had no advice for me.

It's been an embarrassment to have had this problem for so long. I hope you have some insight.

Thank you so much,

 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue Apr 17, 2007 1:16 pm

User avatar I would recommend that you have a fungal culture performed to identify the fungus (yeast) that is causing your discharge, if indeed this is a fungal issue.

Occasionally some of the fungi that cause infection are resistant to the typical treatments.

Have you ever tried an oral medication for yeast infection? This is often more effective than the creams. At this point I would not recommend further antifungals until the infection is identified.

Also, if you indeed do have a yeast infection that is not responsive to antifungal treatment I would recommend that you see an immunologist to make sure that your immune system is competent to help fight off the infection.

I hope this helps a little.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us