Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Absent Periods

Ronii - Tue Jul 13, 2004 3:29 am

Hi There,

I have a 2 year old baby who still nurses several times a day. My menses returned about 8 months after the birth and came regularly for many months. But in the past year I have skipped several periods, thought I was pregnant only to end up finally having one after a 6 or 8 week wait. I know nursing can interfere with a normal cycle but I am still concerned. How am I supposed to figure out when to be worried? My doctor always says lactation is the culprit and it will straighten out when I wean the baby. Prior to having the baby my cycles were longer than average usually about 45 days. I do not smoke, drink or use any drugs. I am a bit overweight and probably need to exercise more. My husband would like to have another child before to long and I am concerned about wether or not this problem is early menopause. I am 36 years old.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jul 13, 2004 1:53 pm

User avatar Ronii,
Like your doctor said, lactation is causing your menstrual irregularity. Lactation is a process that involves the secretion of a certain hormone from the brain (prolactin) that directly interferes with other sex hormones.

I don't think you should worry about menopause at your age and given the fact that you are lactating at the moment. Everything should return to normal once lactation stops and your hormonal profile 'normalizes'.

Regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us