Question: Question on menstrual flow

Moonlyte - Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:06 pm

At what point should I become worried about the heaviness of my flow and the duration? This month it's been running about 10 days so far, still going strong. I'm going thru 1 super size tampon about every hour or so. I even turned my bathwater red last night and had to start all over. Due to the severity of my mitral valve prolapse, I'm supposed to keep an eye on my blood pressure, and it's hanging around 84/60 for the last couple days. can't stand without getting dizzy and I very nearly passed out last night. And is there anything I can do myself to lessen the flow or something? I have no medical insurance and there is no way I can see a doctor! Thanks for any help!!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:02 pm

User avatar Moonlyte,
If your menstruation is causing your blood pressure to drop to the degree your getting dizzy, then i am afraid to tell you, you should start worrying. You are advised to go the ER as soon as possible. An evaluation including a blood count for anemia and a cause for your excess menstruation (menorrhagia) is mandatory. You may need blood transfusion.
 Moonlyte - Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:06 pm

LOL - thanks for the info - I do appreciate it! Sadly I can't afford the hospital! :D The only place for folks like me around here is the homeless clinic and I refuse to lie and say I'm homeless just for medical attention (tho my husband wants me too, lol)
Anyhow, I appreciate your reply!
 fl cat - Sat Jul 24, 2004 8:47 pm

Moonlyte I think you don't understand the problem. Most hospitals will make payment plans and they may well have help you do not know about. If You are still bleeding you need help. It is ALWAYS cheaper to fix a problem sooner than later. I too thought you should go to ER but wanted to see what Dr. Fouad said, if you are still here and having this problem please go to ER.