Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Question about sore

 starless - Sun Apr 22, 2007 6:04 pm

I have a very small sore on my vulva that sometimes bleeds. It is always in the same spot and usually appears sometime after my period. I have tested negative for stds but I never though it was one as it has been appearing since before I have been sexually active. There is a chance I have a small allergy to latex, I have heard of people being allergic to pads before. Could this be why it appears after my period? Any other possible reasons? Thank you.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:50 pm

User avatar It may be that you are alleric to the pads or possibly there is something causing friction against your skin that is irritating the area and causing the sore.

Another possiblity is that you have a blocked duct that may be leading to the sore's development.

I would recommend you see your gynecologist when the sore is present for an evaluation.

Best wishes.
 starless - Tue May 01, 2007 10:28 pm

Thanks a lot, I will do that. If it is a blocked duct, how would it be treated? Would it require any surgery?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Wed May 02, 2007 1:09 am

User avatar Often ducts will open spontaneously. If not, the duct can be lanced. This is usually an in-office procedure and is relatively simple.

Best wishes.
 starless - Thu May 17, 2007 8:48 pm

HI, I've booked an appointment for when it usually appears. Just a question though. Do STDs like Herpes usually appear in the exact same spot or bleed? Just curious. Thanks.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri May 18, 2007 3:29 pm

User avatar It would be a bit unusual to get herpes sore in the same place multiple times (but not impossible). Other STD's do not commonly cause recurrent blisters, especially in the same area.

One possible exception would be molluscum contagiosum, although these lesions do not tend to rapidly disappear and return.

Seeing your doctor will be helpful.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us