Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: brest hurting

 lg171717 - Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:15 pm

Hello i am a 22 year old mother I have an 8 month old son, today i started feeling tenderness in my nipples, and they feel sore and hurt, like if they are engorged. it feels like when i used to brestfeed. The pain comes and goes. I used to brestfeed my son until he was 3 months of age. I checked my brest today, to see if they looked iritated, red or swollen, but they don't. Then i squeezed the nipple and to my surprise started leaking a small amount of clear liquid. What do you think is wrong, should i go see a doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:47 am

User avatar Nipple discharge such as you describe is rarely a sign of a serious problem and often considered a normal part of your breast's function, especially in a woman who has breastfed a baby. If that's the case, the discharge might resolve on its own. Avoid nipple stimulation — such as by frequently checking for discharge — because stimulation actually makes the discharge persist. You may get some relief from your symptoms by applying a warm compress and taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medication such as aspirin or ibuprofen.

Breast tenderness can also be an early sign of pregnancy.

Another possible cause of discharge is hormonal (excess prolactin) and can result from birth control pills or other medications, frequent breast self-exam, sexual activity, thyroid or pituitary gland disorder. Some women experience such symptoms during menstruation. Other causes usually are found in older women such as tumors (typically non-cancerous).

If the problem persists, it's best to check it out with your health care provider to be on the safe side and of course it is always important to have regular physical exams where you should report any unusual symptoms to your doctor.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us