Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Obstetrics

Question: regular periods then not (possible miscarriage?)

Anj1210 - Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 am

My periods since November have been as follows:
November - Began 16th, lasted 6 days
December - Began 18th, lasted 4 days
January - Began 17th, lasted 6 days
February - Began 18th, lasted 6 days.
THEN in March I was late... It didn't start till the 24th and it lasted for 5 days. It also smelled REALLY bad, literally like something dead.
I have a couple questions, they they're all pertinent to the same thing.
#1- Is there a possibility I could have been pregnant and miscarried, but just chalked it up to my period because it would have been so early on?
#2- I just barely started my April one, on the 25th. Will this start my new schedule or will it go back to the 16th-18th because that's what I am normal?
#3- Is it just coincidence or is there something to the fact that, when I'm close, my periods always seem to start the day after I have sex, usually only if I actually have the big "O" though.

Any help would be great. Thanks!
 Shana Johnson, CNA - Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:56 pm

User avatar It is very possible you had a miscarriage and thought it was just a normal period. Its actually rather common for a woman to miscarry very early on in a pregnancy, and never know she was pregnant.
It is also not a coincidance that you start soon after having an orgasm. The contractions caused by an orgasm can cause a period to start.
Your periods may be a little abnormal if you have had a miscarriage, but I would count 28 days from the start of this peoriod and assume that is when the next period will come., although it may be a little later or eariler.

Good luck

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us