Question: Have Tubal but missed period!!!

grumpybrat76 - Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:22 am

To Whom It May Concern,
I had my tubal liagation 6 years ago on July 10th of this year.My main concern now is I am 7 weeks late for my cycle.I have taken a home pregnancy test and it came out negative.I brought this up to my doctor and all she said was you are the 5th person I have seen this week who has been late on their menstral cycle.And not to worry about it.But I am worried...I have cramped like I was going to start,but still nothing.Do you have any ideas of why this is happening now?Thanks....[/quote]
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Jul 19, 2004 2:48 pm

Absent menses also known as amenorrhea is defined as menstruation that has ceased for about 6 months. That's why your doctor isn't worried.
Oligomenorrhea on the other hand occurs when menstruation has stopped for more than 35 days.

Oligomenorrhea can also be caused by emotional and physical stress, chronic illnesses, tumors that secrete estrogen, poor nutrition, and eating disorders such as anorexia nervosa. Serious female athletes often develop oligomenorrhea because of their strict diets and intense physical activity. Female athletes who use anabolic steroid drugs to enhance their performance are also at risk of developing oligomenorrhea, as well as many other health problems. Oligomenorrhea can be caused by a hormonal imbalance. The length and regularity of the menstrual cycle is controlled by hormones produced in an area of the brain called the hypothalamus, as well as by the pituitary and adrenal glands. In is very common and normal for the hormone messages sent by these glands to be out of synch at certain times.

If you are not under any stress and have none of the above mentioned causes and your cycle doesn't return within another 2 weeks it would be advisable to get a proper evaluation. This may include blood tests and certain scans.