Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: sore red bumps down there(female)

 unsure32 - Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:44 pm

I have these red bumps inside the "lips" down there. I've gotten them once in the past, and now I have 2 again. They look like red pimples with out the head. They are sore if you touch them. The 2 I had before went away within a month. I figured it was some kind of gland and it would go away after my period, which they did. But I got these after my period, and I won't be getting it again for another week. I have been sexually active with one guy. We have always used a condom. I am the only person he's been sexually active with. We were both first timers at everything, so niether of us could have an STD. He has not gotten anything. I don't know how else to explain it but all i know is that they are little red bumps inside the skin inside my "lips" (I don't know the proper term for it) and they hurt when you touch them. Any help that would be great!! THANKS
 2monkeys - Thu Jul 21, 2005 10:25 am

i also need answers to this question
 silverlady - Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:36 am

Yes, I wrote a messge about this exact same thing too, it feels like a normal spot, without a head, then it goes away. I had the last one after a period, but this time it burst, which hasn't happened before. Could it be perfumed soap or something irritating the skin?
I also have a boyfriend, but we don't sleep around, and don't have any stds.
 Amy T, RN - Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:20 am

it sounds like the symptoms of herpes. genital herpes can be contracted even with the use of condoms, and also if your partner has no outward symptoms ie blisters or sores to penis. you should see a gyn md for further diagnosis.
sincerly, wvnurse
 color19 - Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:34 am

i had this problem. it was genital herpes. you can catch them by skin contact. you don't have to have intercourse to get it. some people get many outbreaks and others may get none. I got my outbreaks every month right after my period and it lasted for about a week. my gyno gave be medication for it and now i do not get any outbreaks. you can;t cure herpes but medication can make it much much much better to live with. if what you have is herpes then you should know that a lot of people have it. most of the people who have herpes don't even know that they are infected.
 hpsmart - Mon Dec 05, 2005 8:39 pm

Ok i have been geting those type of bumps to and i have never had sex or to that mater have a boy friend that lasted that long to have that type of relationship. The only person that has touched dowb there is me since i was old aboth to go to the bath room by my self. so could it gental herps

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us