Medical Specialty >> Gynecology

Doctors Lounge - Gynecology Answers

Back to Gynecology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/14/2017.

Forum Name: Gynecology

Question: Vaginal burning

 Mom28 - Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:34 pm

I am a 34 yr old mother to 8 children. I have been having horrible vaginal burning that gets worse when my period starts. I also have a lot of pelvic pain after sex. I do not have an increase in discharge nor do I have any itching.

14 years ago, I was diagnosed and treated for clamydia and it seemed to go away.

Could this be an STD?

 Dr. Chan Lowe - Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:58 pm

User avatar Burning can certainly be an indicator of an STD. If there is a possibility of this I would recommend you be tested.

Also, a yeast infection can cause your symptoms. Discharge is commonly associated with a yeast infection but it can be absent.

If you've had yeast infections before and this is different you should see your doctor before beginning a yeast infection treatment to be sure that this is what is going on.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us